Updated: February 27, 2020
The Air Force Association’s 36th annual Air Warfare Symposium and Technology Exposition will be held 26-28 February in Orlando, Florida and we are again covering the event.
A live feed from the event is here – https://www.af.mil/Live/
AFA’s Air Warfare Symposium is a premier event for the aerospace and defense industry geared toward the professional development of Air Force officers, enlisted members, civilians, retirees, and veterans. The symposium harnesses the Air Force’s innovative spirit through sessions focussed on innovation and exhibits that highlight the next generation of air, space, and cyber power. The symposium brings together the top leadership of the Air Force as well as leaders in industry, academia, and government officials to discuss the issues and challenges facing our Air Force today and in the future.
The event’s Agenda is here – https://www.afa.org/events/airwarfare/agenda — and copied below — and the senior USAF leadership — including Air Force Secretary Barbara Barrett, Air Force Chief of Staff General David Goldfein, and Air Force Acquisition Executive Dr. Will Roper — will take to the stage.
- Secretary of the Air Force Barbara M. Barrett revealed the “Jolly Green II” moniker for the USAF’s new Combat Rescue Helicopter
- Lt. Gen. David D. Thompson, vice commander of the U.S. Space Force, spoke of the Space Force imperative (credit: Air Force Magazine)
- Billionaire Elon Musk, CEO and product architect of Tesla Motors and the CEO/CTO of Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), told an audience of Air Force pilots and others that “the fighter jet era had passed” spoke of the primacy of unmanned systems and AI to USAF planning.
The Technology Exposition part of the Air Warfare Symposium, while much smaller than the AFA’s Annual Air, Space & Cyber confab held in September near Washington DC — boasts more than 27,000 square feet of space with more than 75+ companies showcasing the latest technologies and innovations in air warfare capabilities.
Conference-released news from key industrial participants includes the following:
- Boeing T-7A Crew Shuts Off, Restarts Engine in Flight to Demonstrate Reliability
- Kihomac touted the troop safety and operational advantages of its MH-60 Gunner’s Seat
- Sikorsky HH-60W Combat Rescue Helicopter Program Awarded Second Low Rate Initial Production Contract As Flight Tests Progress (New helicopter coined “Jolly Green II” by U.S. Air Force and makes debut at AFA Air Warfare Symposium)
Over the course of this three-day event, the exhibition schedule will provide more than 12 hours of exhibit time, approximately half of which will not compete with the speakers’ agenda (below).
The Air Warfare Symposium culminated with the Finals for the USAF’s Spark Tank competition. Spark Tank is an annual event in which Airmen pitch innovative ideas that build upon senior leader priorities to restore readiness, cost-effectively modernize and drive innovation. Finalists took to the stage on Friday morning to pitch their innovation ideas to Air Force senior leadership and industry experts (including Elon Musk). Two teams tied to win.
DSJ’s features from AFA AWS included the following: