The Army Research Laboratory (ARL), together with the Algorithmic Warfare Cross-Functional Team (AWCFT or “Project Maven”) and the Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC), are hosting the 2nd Annual DoD AI Industry Day on November 28, 2018 to discuss AI software prototyping activities and future industry participation. All technical businesses engaged in AI/ML are invited to submit information on their capabilities (see website listed below for more information).
The ARL Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Basic and Applied Scientific Research added the “Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning” (AI/ML) topic in 2017 under the Information Sciences Campaign. The Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning topic can be found by searching announcement “W911NF-17-S-0003” at Grants.gov or FBO.gov.
In support of AI prototyping, the DoD is holding an AI Industry Day focusing on the following five areas:
1. Training Data: Standardizing, cleansing, preparing, and managing data for AI algorithm training, including new labeling techniques and tools for analytics and metrics of training data
2. Algorithms: Frameworks and tools for creating AI/ML algorithms and the algorithms themselves as well as the UIs for the display, search, and interaction with algorithmically derived metadata and tabular structured algorithmic output
3. Integration: New or improved processes and methods for integrating AI/ML within warfighting systems, applications, and analysis systems at the edge, or other computation to bring AI/ML to constrained computational environments
4. Infrastructure: Storage and indexing capabilities agnostic to data format/type, tools for continuous delivery/deployment of software, and infrastructure monitoring
5. Testing: New methods to test, evaluate, and determine the effectiveness of AI/ML approaches
[See Attachment for Chart]
The DoD is interested in receiving market research on these 5 focus areas for any data types, techniques, and use cases, with particular interest on the data types, techniques, and uses cases provided below:
[See Attachment for Chart]
Event and Registration Details: The one-day Industry Day will consist of presentations in the morning followed by an opportunity for networking and 1:1 sessions in the afternoon. Attendees are limited to three(3) representatives per company. Attendees can request an optional 1:1 during registration. For 1:1 sessions, attendees must submit a 150 word description of their software or work and can optionally submit up to 5 presentation slides (pdf or ppt) and/or up to a 4 minute demonstration video (mp4).
Refer to the following website for Event and Registration Details: https://www.arl.army.mil/AI. The website will be available on Tuesday, 23 October 2018. All submissions must be in accordance with the guidance provided at this website.
Note: This notice is being issued for planning and information purposes only. It does not constitute a solicitation, nor is it to be construed as a commitment by the Government. The Government will not pay for any effort expended in responding to the notice, or participation in this event (to include attendees travel costs), nor will the Government accept proposals as a result of this notice. Meals will not be provided at this event.
Point of Contact(s):